A Sigh of Relief

by Jeremy Chance

No, unfortunately that doesn’t mean I’ve heard back yet about grad school. That’s still as up in the air now as it was 2-3 months ago. However, there is a plan at least in place for next year…even if it is a back up plan.

One of the things I’ve learned many, many times throughout my life is to have a back up plan, just in case things don’t go as well as you’d like to go.

As the weeks have gone by and my status with grad school remains up in the air, there came a point where I realized I needed to start considering some other options of grad school doesn’t turn out the way I’d like it to. I needed to realize there’s a very distinct possibility that I will not get in to grad school. Because there’s no interview process for grad school here at Purdue, my acceptance is based on only on all of the pieces I submitted with my application.

I have to be honest with myself…on paper, I may really not be that impressive. My GPA is .04 points above the 3.0 minimum. My GRE scores were pretty terrible (not that there was a minimum score or anything, they just weren’t great). My transcripts and resume aren’t too sparkling. There is a very real and distinct possibility I may not be good enough, on paper, right now, for grad school here at Purdue.

As most of you may know, I have already expressed my intent to Bill and the group to come back to Glee Club for next year. I’ve already gotten pretty involved for next year, despite my status being up in the air. As a returning PurduSir, I will be heading up the Advancement committee for the 2010-2011 school year. Last week we had specialty auditions, and I’m hoping to be involved with one or more of those next year as well.

I would feel like a real jerk if I couldn’t come back and fulfill my duties as a member of the Glee Club. Well, I don’t know that jerk is the correct word. I would definitely feel like I’ve let a large number of people down…including myself. I know a lot of people are counting on me to get in and come back next year.

So, the “big news…” 🙂

If I don’t make it into grad school next year, I will be taking more undergraduate classes and picking up a second degree. That’s my back up plan for next year. I will still receive my B.A. in Communication in two weeks, but I will be starting another degree if I don’t get into grad school. I’ll be a professional writing major, an English degree. I wanted to stay within the College of Liberal Arts because I would already have all of my CORE requirements (because of my COM degree), so I can just focus on my major classes.

Last Sunday I was eating dinner with Joshua and Brittany, and Joshua actually was the one who suggested it to me. Monday I set up a meeting with my advisor. Wednesday morning we met and planned some things out. I scheduled classes Wednesday afternoon, and thus solidified that I’ll be here next year.

Now, I have no idea what I’m doing past next year. There are about 36 hours I need to take to fulfill all of the major requirements for the English degree. I haven’t decided how I want to split that up. Do I cram it all into a year, year and a half? Do I extend it to two more years? Do I stay involved with Glee Club for two more years, not just next year?

Honestly, I have no idea.

But I will admit, I’m not quite as anxious now. I know I have a plan that will at least keep me here through next year, and I can still perform with my brothers and sisters in song.

My life will happen the way it’s supposed to. I know God has something in store for me, and at this point I’m just letting things happen and take them as they come…

I can take a breath a sigh of relief…for now anyways.